Latest posts by Jamal Ahmelich (see all)
- What is Nature Based Therapy? - February 2, 2021
- Ski therapy? An Outdoor Twist on Traditional Therapy - January 11, 2021
- 5 Day Mindfulness Challenge - January 1, 2021
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is that feeling of fear or uneasiness that we all can experience in our life. When it’s really bad, it can leave you unable to face the challenges in your day or even not want to be around other people. It can be an uncomfortable feeling that can leave you feeling tense, sick or having a tightness in your chest. The good news is that by utilizing coping strategies, one can really help to improve the management of their anxiety.
When to seek help for your Anxiety?
Anxiety can be severe and can take many forms such as generalized anxiety, social anxiety, phobias, and panic attacks. If you feel your anxiety is severely effecting your life, I’d encourage you to seek help from a health professional.
Ways to Improve Coping Skills
1) Get lots of sleep. Anxiety is tiring and you are much better equipped to handle it when you are rested.
2) Practice yoga, meditate, or learn relaxation techniques.
3) Listen to music
4) Breathe deeply. Take big deep breathes and exhale slowly. Try this Navy Seal technique “Box Breathing”
5) Try Thought Stopping. When you have a negative thought, say to yourself Stop and replace it with a positive one.
6) Talk to loved ones. Human connection can go a long way in helping to support you through difficulties.
7) Identify triggers. What is causing the anxiety? Try to find the patterns to what causes your anxiety.
8) Go for a run, walk, bike or dance. Exercise can have a profound impact on your ability to manage anxiety.
9) Have a good morning routine that sets you up for success each day. Tony Robbins calls this priming.
10) Eat good food
11) Limit your intake of substances
12) Drink water
13) Practice gratitude. When you focus on the positive things you have in your life, you’ll feel more confident that you can tackle your anxiety.
14) Try the 54321 grounding technique. When you are feeling anxious, try to do this things. Look for 5 things you can see, find 4 things you can feel, listen for 3 things you can hear, find 2 things you can smell, and find 1 thing you can taste.
15) Pyramid technique. When you experience anxiety , slowly count to 10 with each breath and then back down to zero.